Assistant Teaching Professor in the UC Berkeley EECS department
Where and When
Spring 2017 Lecture Schedule
- Data 8 11am-12pm Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in 1 Pimentel
Spring 2017 Office Hours
- 9am-11am Thursday in 781 Soda
- Appointments in 781 Soda.
What and How
- Past and Current Courses
- YouTube channel
- Composing Programs: a free online textbook for introductory computer science.
- Computational and Inferential Thinking: a free online textbook for introductory data science.
- The Pac-Man projects for teaching artificial intelligence.
- Data Science Education at Berkeley
News and Awards
- Diane McEntyre Award for Excellence in Teaching (CS Division, Berkeley)
- Voted Best Faculty Member on campus (The Daily Californian)
- Data 8 featured in the Chancellor's Corner (The Daily Californian)
- Honorable Mention Award for Excellence in Promoting Women in Undergraduate Computing (NCWIT)
- Award for data science platform development (Google)
- Outstanding Faculty of the Year Award (Tau Beta Pi, Berkeley)
- CS 61A listed among Five of the Best Computer Science Classes in the U.S. (Bloomberg)
- Computer science capacity award (Google)
John DeNero joined the UC Berkeley CS division faculty in 2014 to focus on undergraduate education in computer science. He received his Masters in Philosophy from Stanford University and his PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 2010. He is the author of Composing Programs and co-author of Computational and Inferential Thinking, two online textbooks. His research focuses both on natural language processing and computer science education. Prior to Berkeley, John was a senior research scientist at Google working primarily on Google Translate and natural language processing.